"For All - By All"
Albrecht Elementary School
The mission of the Brodhead School District's School Counseling Program is to meet the needs of all students by helping them learn about themselves, learn about the world around them and make meaningful connections between the two.
The Brodhead School District Comprehensive School Counseling Program is based on the National Standards for School Counseling Programs, and the Wisconsin Comprehensive School Counseling Model, which integrates academic, career, and personal/social development.
Research indicates that the benefits of a developmental school counseling program improve:
- School attitudes and work habits, which correlate to dropping out or staying in school.
- Peer relationships and communication skills.
- Motivation, behavior, and grades, which correlate to learning and achievement.
An elementary school counseling program aims to impact student's self-esteem through intervention and prevention services. Students develop socially and emotionally, as well as physically and cognitively. A comprehensive program can address the vital process skills students must have in the workplace tomorrow, as well as intervene in problems that interfere with learning today.
A balanced, comprehensive program consists of coordination, prevention, and intervention techniques. A counselor provides academic support to the classroom teacher to ensure that each individual student learns as much as possible. A counselor coordinates with teachers, parents, and administrators to provide an optimal learning environment for all students.
- To help all students learn (achieve) as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- To have an impact on the major skill areas that are necessary for success as an adult.
- Understanding the school environment
- Understanding attitudes and behaviors.
- Developing decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Developing interpersonal and communication skills.
- Developing social-success skills.
- Creating career awareness and educational planning.
- Creating community pride and involvement.