Middle School Art
- Q:Is there homework in art class?
- A:All 6th, 7th, and 8th graders will have a sketchbook assignment due every 2 weeks. 6th grade students will be supplied with a new sketchbook in the beginning of the year. This sketchbook will be used for art in 6-8th grade. If a students runs out of pages, they can purchase one from the art department or purchase their own. Sketchbooks are worth 15 points. All due dates are written on the front board for students to see. They are also posted out in the hallway for students to reference to.
The 6th graders roll dice to determine what the assignment will be. These assignments are always posted in my room by my desk.
The 7th and 8th grade class have an assignment sheet that is student led. Students have come up with a variety of drawing ideas. Every two weeks, I print off 4-5 drawing ideas from their list, and they get to choose ONE from that list to draw.
- Q:Is there extra credit in art?
- A:Students are more than welcome to hand in extra credit drawings. I give 1-2 points/drawing. They need to be recent drawings students have worked on during the school year. Students can hand in at any time throughout the school year.
- Q:What is Youth Art Month?
- A:Youth Art Month is an annual observance each March to emphasize the value of art education for all children and to encourage support for quality school art programs. It is a way to celebrate the achievements of artistic students.
The South West Regional Art Exhibit takes place at the Hilldale Shopping Center in Madison, Wisconsin. There are many schools throughout the southwestern part of Wisconsin that participate in this exhibit. Several students of Brodhead Middle School have their artwork displayed at the Hilldale Mall. The exhibit is up for a week and is judged. One piece from each school is nominated to be displayed at the State art exhibit, which takes place at the Capital in March. The following are the awards given at Hilldale: W.T. Graham Award, SAX award, and Nasco Award.